This summer I made a new friend, and she’s a friend with benefits: she’s a cookbook author!
Diane is smart, sassy, and doing great work in the world. Her popular online program, 21 Day Sugar Detox, has finally been made into a beautiful book, and I’ve been trying out recipes.
My son and I worked together and put these mini-donuts together with another recipe, her Vanilla Coconut Cream – can you say YUMM!?
Apple Cinnamon Mini-Donuts
Original recipe from Diane SanFilippo’s The 21-Day Sugar Detox
2 tablespoons of melted coconut oil or unsalted butter
3 tablespoons coconut oil, divided
1 green apple, peeled and shredded on the big holes of a cheese grater
1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
5 tablespoons full-fat coconut milk
1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup unsweetened coconut flour
1/3 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- Preheat oven to 350F. Brush a mini-donut pan with the melted coconut oil or butter.
- In a skillet over medium heat, melt 1 tablespoon of the coconut oil. Saute the shredded apple until soft, about 5 minutes. Scoop onto a plate and allow to cool.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk the eggs, vanilla, remaining 2 tablespoons of coconut oil, coconut milk, and vinegar until combined. Add the coconut flour, almond flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cooked apples, and salt to the egg mixture and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter by spoonful into the oiled donut holes, filling each about 2/3 of the way full. The donuts will puff up while baking.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the donuts are puffed up and golden brown, about 15 minutes.
Serve with Coconut Vanilla Cream:
Scrape the beans out of a fresh vanilla bean and smoosh together with a rubber spatula at room temperature with coconut butter until well blended.