Welcome back my Clan of the Crave Bears! This is the place where we have a non-judgmental space to find out what our cravings really mean. So last week, I mentioned that I was taking a Summer hiatus. Well, a dear friend of mine talked me out of my hiatus! We have too much momentum going to take the Summer off! So I’m looking forward to spending my Summer right here with you!
Now today I am the Shame Slayer and we are talking about menstruation, and I encourage you to continue to play this episode even if your children or husband are in the room. It’s a very natural part of life and it played a part in all of us being here. So, let’s get rid of the shame surrounding menstruation and just talk about it openly and honestly.
Today’s guest is Miki Agarwal. Miki Agrawal is a force of nature. She was named 2015 Social Entrepreneur of the Year at the World Technology Awards and her Company THINX was named Time Magazine’s “25 Best New Inventions of 2015″. Miki was also the recipient of the TriBeCa Film Festival’s “Disruptive Innovation Award” and was named one of the “Top 20 Millenials on a Mission” by Forbes.
She is the CEO and Co-Founder of THINX, a high-tech, beautiful underwear solution for women to wear during their periods. She teamed up with AFRIpads in Uganda to fund a pack of reusable cloth pads for every underwear sold to get millions of girls back in school. To date, Miki and THINX have helped over 30,000 girls go back to school.
This girl has it going on! Thinx are “period proof panties”. You won’t believe how many girls miss school each year due to menstruation. This is an important product and can truly make a difference in the lives of girls. It’s time to end our body shaming around our periods.
Don’t forget about our Swag Bag Giveaway! Here is how you can enter in to win this $1000 swag bag:
- Go to iTunes put up a meaningful review about your thoughts about The Crave Cast, what you’ve learned, what you’ve loved, why people should tune in. or you can go to bit.ly/cravecast and leave a review.
- Once a month I will be picking one meaningful review, I’ll get in touch with you, will announce it here on the podcast and I will be sending you all of these incredible goodies. So be sure to enter the $1000 swag bag giveaway at bit.ly/cravecast!
You can Subscribe to the podcast on iTunes, SoundCloud, Stitcher or TuneIn100 million girls miss a week of school when they have their periods. Click To Tweet
- What Thinx are and how they work
- The technology behind Thinx
- How Thinx are sexy and beautiful, feel like normal underwear, but still functional
- The give-back component of Thinx and how women in 3rd world countries benefit
- How women in 3rd world countries are dealing with periods without proper supplies
- Where to find the 13 minute introduction video about Thinx
- Why men have no idea what a period is and how it works
- Why Nepalese men blamed menstruating women for a devastating earthquake
- How Miki came to be able to freely discuss menstruation, when she was raised with shame around it
- Why schools should teach both boys and girls about menstruation together
- The need for the curriculum for educating on menstruation that Miki is creating
- Why the hygiene market is ripe for disruption and the medical problem it can solve
- Why HelloTushy can solve many of the hygiene issues we experience today