Last weekend I celebrated the first Sisterhood Day with 9 amazing friends.
We shared stories, challenges, desires, and scones.
I hope you’ll share these with your lady loves, too.
2 cups Bob’s Red Mill Gluten Free All-Purpose Flour (I get it here for cheap!)
2 Tablespoons Organic Sugar
1 tsp Baking Powder
1/4 tsp Baking Soda
1/2 tsp Salt
8 Tbsp Unsalted Butter or Coconut Oil, frozen and shredded with a cheese grater
1/2 cup mildly sweetened dried cranberries
¼ cup almond milk
¼ cup orange juice
2 teaspoons freshly grated orange zest
1 large egg or Flax Egg (1 heaping Tablespoons ground flax seed whisked with 4 Tablespoons hot water)
1. Adjust oven rack to lower-middle position and preheat oven to 400 degrees.
2. In a medium bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Grate butter or coconut oil into flour mixture on the large holes of a box grater; use your fingers to work in butter (mixture should resemble coarse meal), then stir cranberries
3. In a small bowl, whisk orange juice, almond milk, zest, and flax egg until smooth.
4. Using a fork, stir orange juice mixture into flour mixture until large dough clumps form. Use your hands to press the dough against the bowl into a ball. (The dough will be sticky in places, and there may not seem to be enough liquid at first, but as you press, the dough will come together.)
5. Place on a lightly floured surface and pat into a 7- to 8-inch circle about 3/4-inch thick.
6. Use a sharp knife to cut into 8-12 triangles; place on a cookie sheet (preferably lined with parchment paper), about 1 inch apart. Bake until golden, about 15 to 17 minutes.
7. Cool for 5 minutes and serve warm or at room temperature.