I love gluten-free recipes.
I’m not celiac myself, but many of my friends are, and I like cooking for people I love.
I like cooking easy recipes that can feed all my peeps in one fell swoop – and this gluten-free recipe satisfies a diverse crowd.
Because I love connecting with people. We host brunch once a month to bring our diverse group of friends together and share time and our home.
Food holds such emotion for us because sharing food & eating together is the most intimate thing we do with other people – in public.
And I want to share the deepest intimacy with my friends as possible – to make them all feel welcome.
This recipe is one of the best for welcoming everyone’s dietary leanings and food rules to the table. Not only can gluten-free people dig in, but they welcome the vegans, the paleo-leaning (ok, there is maple syrup, but it’s pretty close).
Orange Hazelnut Scones with Raisins, Almond & Coconut Flour
1 1/2 cups of almond flour
½ cup unsweetened coconut flour
1/4 tsp of sea salt
1 tsp of baking soda
1 egg replacer
2 tbs of maple syrup
2 tbs freshly squeezed orange juice
Zest from one organic orange
1/3 – 1/2 cup unsweetened almond, coconut, rice or other plant-based milk
1/2 cup chopped hazelnuts (pecans are a great substitute, especially if you’re from Texas like my grandma)
½ cup raisins
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper. This makes it easier to lift the cooked scones as they won’t stick to the sheet.
- In a large bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, sea salt, and baking soda.
- In a medium bowl, whisk together the egg replacer, maple syrup, orange juice, zest, and milk.
- Combine the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and mix with a spatula until blended together. If the dough seems too dry and isn’t sticking together, use another tablespoon or two of milk.
- Add the hazelnuts and raisins and use your hands or rubber spatula to evenly distribute through the dough.
- Use an ice cream scooper to scoop out evenly sized scones and place scones on a parchment lined baking sheet and gently press down to flatten to 1/2 in thick with palm.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until the tops are golden brown, and allow to cool for a few minutes before serving.
Check this out Grow Your Intuition with this resource!!