Mac & Cheeze Surprise Sauce (Shh! Shiitakes Inside!)
This mildly seasoned sauce is popular with kids and adults. The garbanzo flour adds great protein, and the sauce is hiding a couple of powerful, and yummy, vegetables. It’s great on noodles, as seen here, potatoes, poured over steamed broccoli or mixed into grains or beans.
I used Eden’s Kamut Elbows, as they have a nice nutty flavor and add some great grain protein. If your family is gluten free, just use any of the amazing gluten-free elbows or noodles made by Tinkyada!
Yield: 3 cups
½ cup chopped carrots, sweet potato or winter squash
1 tablespoons olive oil, divided
1 cup sliced shiitake mushrooms, stems removed
2 ¼ cups plain unsweetened soy, rice, hemp or almond milk
¾ cup nutritional yeast flakes
¼ cup garbanzo bean flour
1 teaspoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon yellow mustard
2 teaspoons white or yellow miso paste
2 teaspoons onion powder
1 teaspoon salt
- Steam or boil the carrots for 5 minutes, until soft.
- Warm 1 tablespoon olive oil in a medium skillet over medium heat. Add the mushrooms and sauté for 6 minutes, until they begin to brown.
- Combine the cooked carrots, mushrooms, soy milk, and remaining ingredients in a blender. Blend on high until smooth and creamy.
- Transfer to a medium saucepan and bring to a simmer, whisking constantly for about 5 minutes.
- Pour over cooked macaroni noodles, vegetables, or other dish.
- Extra sauce will refrigerate well for up to 4 days.