I’m usually a protein girl in the morning. Long gone are the donut days where I could swill a cup of OJ and chomp a croissant and still make it to lunch. If I tried that now, I’d be in a sugar coma by 10am!
Now I like to mix up my morning meal with protein rich almond butter on sprouted grain toast, or a green smoothie with added nuts.
But the weather is cooling, the mornings are darker, and I want something warm and rib-stickin’.
Here’s how we do “oatmeal” in the morning:
1. Combine 1 1/2 cups unsweetened coconut milk with 1 cup washed and drained quinoa.
Bring to a boil over high heat.
2. Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook for 12 minutes. Uncover and stir in 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon,
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, 1/4 cup raisins, and 1 tablespoon maple syrup.
3. Top with chopped pears.
1. Bring 2 cups unsweetened almond coconut milk to a simmer, whisk in 1 cup oat bran.
2. Add 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract, and any fruit you like.
3. After 2 minutes, turn off the heat and add in 1/4 cup hemp seeds.
4. Stir well and serve with maple syrup and extra milk.