Hello, my Clan of the Crave Bears! On today’s show we will be talking about the pill, actually, a book called “Sweetening the Pill” by Holly Grigg-Spall. In the interview, Holly and I talk about my experience with birth control and how scary it was. The reason I want to talk about this today is because millions of healthy women take a powerful drug every day, from mid-teens to menopause. Few know the effects or potential side effects.
Contrary to cultural myth, birth control pills impact every organ and function of the body and yet most women don’t even think of it as a drug. Depression, anxiety, rage, panic attacks, are just a few of the effects of being on the pill. When the pill was first released, it was thought that women would not submit to taking a medication when they weren’t sick. Now the pill is making women sick! Holly Grigg-Spall’s book that we are going to talk about has inspired a documentary! Ricki Lake and Abby Epstein, the producers of “The Business of Being Born” are producing a new documentary, and Holly is the consulting producer and writer. This is a great book and great interview. If you are on birth control pills or any other hormonal birth control you will definitely want to listen to this episode!
We are still seen as the lesser version of men! Click To Tweet
- When did Holly start taking the pill?
- How long did she stay on the pill?
- Why aren’t we worried about the impact of birth control?
- How is her relationship with being a woman now that she is off the pill?
- How does the pill affect attraction?
- What is post pill syndrome?
- What is the pro period movement?
- What are some healthy alternatives?