148 Free Your Mind From Hating Your Body + Dr. Srini Pillay
Do you find yourself living in a way that someone else thinks you should? Does this fly in the face of the way you would actually live, without this kind of influence? If so, you’re not alone and you will really gain a lot from today’s show, which is all about how women can- and really need to- start living life by our own rules, in every aspect. It’s about throwing off the ‘shoulds’ and learning to live your life in the way that you would choose to. Listen in today, as Alex helps you to discover your own way forward.
Today, Alex shares a very heartfelt and personal story about her experience with a client, Michelle. They were talking about Michelle’s body, which in her private session with Alex, Michelle described as being built like a brick sh*t house. This prompted Alex to point out to her that the words that we use really do have power. When we use phrases and words to describe ourselves, those words and phrases actually become our reality and our world and we keep ourselves stuck there. So, it’s time to flip these old worlds into something else. You need to learn, when stumbling across old, limiting beliefs, to reconstruct them with love and care, so as not to scare the life out of your brain! Alex cautions you, however, that if you try to make these changes too big, or too fast, your lizard brain could rear up and start fighting you, to keep your old thoughts in place, so you really have to start small, in order to make the changes long lasting.
The new thought that Michelle agreed to try on in her daily life, was “I am strong, capable and I deserve the self-care that I desire.” Yet, for Alex, after ending the call, something still felt off… Then she realized that it was her own lizard brain, eating into her power and her ego and it had some really nasty things to say about her body, on a very regular basis. Although Alex acknowledges the privileges that she enjoys, being a white woman, relatively thin and quite tall, she still goes through her own struggles and pain with her body, as do all of us, because we’ve all been raised as women, to be judged by our bodies! So, she began to work on flipping her old beliefs about her body and turning them into manageable, self-loving affirmations. This felt good, but the imperfections became meaner and more difficult to acknowledge. Alex still persevered with taking her power back and she really encourages you to do the same, because it’s really necessary and it’s worth it! You really do need to rewrite the story around your beliefs about your body- now, and show up in the world centered, graceful, and wise!
Today, Alex will be interviewing Dr. Srini Pillay, a Harvard Neuroscientist and Coach, about his brand new and really inspiring book, Tinker, Dabble, Doodle, Try, which has just been nominated one of the fifty must reads by Coastal Living, for the second time. It’s a beautiful exploration of creativity and what we think about being productive and how we’re overworking ourselves to get more done, but it’s really not working. It’s about how our creativity really comes out of a space of spaciousness and doodling, in many ways. Listen in today, to get some of Dr. Pillay’s really awesome tools to help you to get unstuck, keep moving forward and live by your own rules.
Music Credit: My good friend Lindsay Katt – https://lindsaykatt.bandcamp.com/track/stick-by-me
- The power of an unfocused mind.
- Why you should stop focusing
- What happens to your memory if you just keep focusing.
- Focus is great when you want to get something done, however, it can also prevent you from understanding what’s happening in the future.
- The difference between distracted and unfocused.
- The three kinds of daydreaming, as defined by Jerome Singer in the 1950’s.
- Positive, constructive daydreaming increases both creativity and productivity, because it causes your brain to recycle it’s energy and therefore, re-energize.
- For moms… diversifying your children’s fields of activity can really be beneficial to their development.
- What is self-talk? How you can use it to your benefit, from the Tinker Dabble Doodle Try perspective.
- The physical impact of self-talk and how to change it to become more creative.
- The benefits of talking to yourself in the second person.
- Positive future rising- it’s all in your brain!
- An unfocused brain can predict better.
- Your level of burnout directly correlates to your level of engagement.
- What is intuition, really?
- Using possibility thinking as a powerful way to strengthen your intuition.
- A possibility thinking exercise for you – to really live an exceptional life!
If you get Dr. Pillay’s book in the next month and send your receipt, you can also get a free desktop app which will automatically block off un-focused time of the day, as you choose it, for as long as you want to. Go www.drsrinipillay.com/tinker to get that.
To check out the “Alex Approved” beauty line that is safe for your skin and the environment, go to www.alexandrajamieson.com/beauty
It’s like a public radio fundraiser, without the service interruptions 🙂