Patriotic Plant Protein Patties! (AKA Veggie Burger for July 4th!)
Celebrate our nation’s birthday with some veggie burgers that everyone can enjoy. I’ve doctored these up with extra plant protein coming from the beans and hemp seeds.
This recipe is cholesterol free, dairy free, egg free, and gluten-free (unless you add the totally optional bread crumbs – but really, you don’t need them.)
Yield: 6-8 patties
4 tablespooons flaxseeds, ground in a spice grinder
1/3 cup water
2 1/2 cups cooked beans (any will do: try black beans, pinto, kidney, chickpeas, or a combination)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/2 cup diced yellow onion
1/4 cup diced celery
1 tablespoon fresh orange zest
1 garlic clove, minced
1 cup finely chopped spinach
1/2 cup hulled hemp seeds
1/2 cup cooked brown rice, quinioa or millet (leftovers from the day before are great for this)
2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- Combine the ground flaxseeds and water in a small saucepan over medium heat. Stir often until the mixture become gooey. Set aside to cool while you do the next step.
- Combine the beans, salt, pepper, parsley, onion, celery, orange zest, garlic, spinach, hemp seeds, brown rice, flax seed mixture and 1 tablespoon of olive oil into a food processor. Pulse 15-18 times to combine the mixture so that it becomes thick and creamed together, with some chunks still remaining.
- The mixture should be easy to handle and can be formed into 1-inch thick patties. I used a 1/3 cup measuring cup and flattened each scoop to 1-inch thick. If it feels to dry add a little water. If it feels too moist, add a few tablespoons of cooked grain or bread crumbs and mix to combine.
- Heat a heavy skillet (a well-seasoned cast iron skillet is great) over medium heat and warm 1 tablespoon olive oil.
- Cook the patties, about 3 at a time, for 7 minutes on each side.