213: Period Power with Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
We’re talking all things female health in today’s show as we take a deep dive with an incredible coach and educator. Join us as we discuss menstruation, birth control, fertility, period pain, hormones, inflammation, and more!
Lisa Hendrickson-Jack is a Certified Fertility Awareness Educator, Holistic Reproductive Health Practitioner, and author. Her new book is The Fifth Vital Sign: Master Your Cycles and Optimize Your Fertility. The book covers essential topics to help empower you to take control of your health, moods, energy, life, and fertility. We’re discussing how the world’s educational systems have failed to teach us about our fertility, our hormones, and the intricate symphony that is our female health. Lisa helps health-conscious women discover the connection between our menstrual cycles and our overall health so that we can do many things, including ditch our hormonal birth control forever. Lisa is a pure genius at this work, and I’m thrilled to have her on the show!
Music Credit: My good friend Lindsay Katt – https://lindsaykatt.bandcamp.com/track/stick-by-me
- The journey to give birth to Lisa’s book
- How The Fifth Vital Sign came from her lifelong habit of charting her cycles
- How temperature, heart rate, respiration rate, and blood pressure give doctors specific parameters to look at for good health
- The details of the complex menstrual cycle and how factors that are “off” tell doctors where to look
- The big message: the menstrual cycle is not just about having babies
- The potential effects of birth control pills
- The details on hypothalamic amenorrhea, when “your body is starving and conserving energy”
- With HA, women rapidly lose bone mass and are at high risk for osteoporosis
- The theme in Lisa’s book: what a “normal” cycle is and what it looks like
- The ranges of what is “normal”:
- Why women don’t know the basics about their own bodies
- Why period pain and PMS are not healthy symptoms
- If your period pain needs medication, there could be a problem
- How prostaglandins help flush the tissue from the uterus (higher levels = higher inflammation)
- Find out how our bodies respond to inflammation
- The ways diet influences female health, with processed foods, meats with hormones, and dairy with a problematic protein
- The #1 inflammatory food: sugar!
- The balance of protein, carbohydrates, and fats that our bodies need
- Why women need cholesterol to make hormones
- The risks and effects of hormonal birth control: how it stops ovulation, stops normal hormone production and interferes with nutrient absorption
- How birth control affects how we perceive others and how others perceive us
The Fifth Vital Sign by Lisa Hendrickson-Jack
Visit www.thefifthvitalsignbook.com/chartingworkbook to get the first chapter of Lisa’s book FREE!
Unf*ckable With: Rising from the Ashes into Your Black Woman Badassery by Catrice M. Jackson
Visit www.catriceology.com to find out about workshops held around the country
Lisa’s podcast: Fertility Friday